Before turning vegan, fish was the last thing I gave up. Honestly, I thought I will stay pescatarian forever because I did like fish, a lot. Overall I like see-y flavours a lot so I enjoy seaweed a lot and once in a while i make this easy smoky carrot pretend-to-be- salmon. Very easy to make and very enjoyable to eat this smoky carrot can be nice for brunch or for canapes for your party.
Advice and insights:
- i cook carrot with the peel and then peel it once it’s cooked – adds on to flavour and texture
- i heard salt baked carrots work well although I never tried it (maybe it’s a zero waste inside me)
- use peeler for nice thin slices
- i like to use kelp powder and if you don’t have any you can use nori or wakame, just shred it to small pieces while dry and let it soak in the marinade
- once you take out the carrot and have some marinade left, don’t discard it – make more fake salmon by adding more carrot to the same marinade.
You will need:
- 2 carrots, cooked
- 4tbsp soy sauce
- 2tbsp liquid smoke
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1tsp kelp powder
What to do?
- peel the carrots, slice them thinly lengthways
- mix ingredients for the marinade and immerse carrot.
- Leave to marinade for at least 2 hours, ideally - overnight.