I was waiting for almost a year to try this recipe out! I saw the idea of marinated watermelon skin on my favourite Youtube channel in the middle of dark winter while during lockdown and couldn’t wait for watermelon season to try it! I love this zero waste idea and I can tell you that it is really yummy and I recommend you trying it out! It can be a great side for your asian dinner or a yummy pickle on your next meal bowl:)
Tips and insights:
- I suggest to store it in the fridge for no longer than 4 as watermelon starts to ferment and then it’s not so tasty anymore;
- when you peel the dark green thick skin off, don’t be shy and peel a little bit more on a thicker side;
- if you like spicy – add chilli flakes to the marinade;
- it is a perfect side for asian meals or as a snack!
You will need:
- watermelon rind, hard dark green bit peeled ~600g
- 1 tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp vinegar (rice or apple cider works perfectly)
- 4 tbsp sugar (I like using coconut sugar)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
What to do?
- peel the dar green bit from the watermelon, slice the light green flesh, massage it with salt and leave for ~1hr to sit;
- mix the ingredients for the marinade;
- squeeze the water out of the watermelon rinds and mix them with the marinade;
- move to a jar or any storage container, press a little for the marinade to cover the watermelon, leave to marinade overnight or at least for 4 hours.