This week I remembered that I really like crepes and that I have some frozen mushrooms I foraged. I didn’t have any flour at home and since it’s quarantine and I’m trying to cut on white flour I made them with chickpea flour. Turned out yummy and more nutritious and filling!
Advice and insights:
- I used rice flour but feel free to use gluten free flour mix (it might be even better) or just wheat flour
- add some water if it looks like the batter is too thick
- for the filling, be creative! I think some cheesy goodness might be very good..
- chickpea flour tends to stiffen after a while so if you leave filled crepes for next day, they might be a little bit harder
- For sauce I made caramelized onions deglazed with balsamic vinegar and thickened with flour and plant milk.
You will need:
- For the batter:
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup rice flour (use gluten free flour mix or wheat flour if you wish)
- 2.5 cup water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- For the filling:
- 500g mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 100g firm tofu
- salt, pepper, thyme or other herbs and spices you like
What to do?
- for batter, mix everything well - I use blender for best results.
- for the filling, fry the onions till translucent, add mushrooms, seasoning and then crumble tofu in.
- make thin pan sized pancakes. Roll the filling in - you can find how I did it in my reels.
- for serving, fry filled crepes in a pan with oil until golden and crispy, serve with sauce.