Focaccia.. My favourite kind of bread. I attempted to make it many many many times and always something was not right. Most of the time it was too dry and spongy. And here in the year of 2020 I finally made T-H-E P-E-R-F-E-C-T focaccia. If you want to enjoy it, follow this recipe and you will see what I mean.
You will need:
440g flour (either all plain flour or 50/50 wholemeal and plain)
50g extra virgin olive oil
5g dry yeast
For the topping choose between:
olives, rosemary, red onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, capers, or just enjoy it plain!
What to do?
- mix all ingredients together, leave to sit for 10-15mins
- stretch and fold the dough, repeat this for 2-3 more times with 20min breaks.
- leave to prove for 1 hour
- generously oil the baking pan and move it focaccia to it.
- prepare yourself a bowl with some salty water to dip your fingers in and start tapping your focaccia.
- if the dough doesn’t stretch, let it rest for 5mins and keep on tapping until you stretch it till it fills the baking pan.
- top it with you favourites – mine are rosemary, olives and red onion and tap them in.
- leave to prove for 30mins.
- preheat the oven at 230C, bake the focaccia for 20-25min, turning it after 15 minutes.