Since I became vegan I looved looking for and trying vegan cheeses – but most of you might know – a lot of times it is not as rewarding. But since I found out that i can bake almond flour with some seasoning and enjoy some good cheesy texture and flavour I have my safe space to come back to for my cheese cravings:D easy recipe and easy to play with and adapt to your preference – I totaly recommend trying it. I know it looks like a little bread but the surprise is waiting in the inside!
Tips and insights:
- this is a base recipe but everyone has a different flavour palette so adjust it to your liking
- if you don’t have time to hang the cheese overnight to drip you can give it a gentle squeeze to get rid of excess liquid
- skip the garlic if you don’t like it
- you can totally make it without nutritional yeast if you don’t have any
- add herbs, olives, sundried tomatoes to enhance the experience
- this recipe can be served raw as well – although I would recommend fermenting it a bit with some probiotic to be digested easier
You will need:
- 200g ground almonds
- 80ml lemon juice
- 100g water
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small to medium size garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
What to do?
- blend everything together till smooth
- move to a cheesecloth and hang it for at least 8 hours, ideally - overnight. This is important to remove excess liquid.
- after hanging, form a ball, place it on oiled baking tray and put it into an oven preheated to 175C degrees for 45-50mins until the top browns a little
- leave to cool down. Once you cut it you will see how crumbly the inside is - feta is ready to be used!